Island Development Agency (IDA)
- 14 Jan 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
Recently, the sixth meeting of the Island Development Agency held in New Delhi.
- In the meeting, the progress made under the "Holistic development of islands" program was reviewed.
Island Development Agency
- The Union Government constituted the Island Development Agency on 1st June, 2017 for the development of islands.
- The meetings of the Agency is chaired by the Union Home Minister.
Holistic Development of Islands Program
- For the first time in the country, under the guidance of IDA, an initiative of sustainable development in the identified Islands within scientifically-assessed carrying capacity has been taken-up.
- Development Plans with focus on creation of jobs for the islanders through tourism promotion as well as export of seafood and coconut-based products made in the Islands have been prepared and are being implemented in four islands of Andaman & Nicobar and five islands of Lakshadweep.
- In the second phase, suitable sites in 12 more islands of Andaman & Nicobar Islands and 5 islands in Lakshadweep have been covered.