Important Facts For Prelims
India Water Impact Summit 2020
- 16 Dec 2020
- 3 min read
Why in News
Recently, the 5th India Water Impact Summit (IWIS), organised by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and Center for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies (cGanga) has held virtually.
- About the Summit:
- India Water Impact 2020 is a five-day long summit, hosting experts and academicians from all over the world to discuss and debate issues related to water conservation, water security and river rejuvenation.
- Theme: Comprehensive analysis and holistic management of local rivers and water bodies with focus on Arth Ganga - river conservation synchronised development.
- At the event, Norwegian Institute of Bioeconomy Research signed an MoU with cGanga for development of a sludge management framework in India.
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG):
- It is the implementation wing of the National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection, and Management of River Ganga also known as National Ganga Council (set in 2016; which replaced the NRGBA).
- NMCG was established in the year 2011 as a registered society.
- It has a two-tier management structure and comprises the Governing Council and Executive Committee.
- The aims and objectives of NMCG are:
- To ensure effective control of pollution and rejuvenation of the river Ganga by adopting a river basin approach to promote inter-sectoral coordination for comprehensive planning and management.
- To maintain minimum ecological flows in the river Ganga with the aim of ensuring water quality and environmentally sustainable development.
- In 2014, ‘Namami Gange Programme’ was launched as an Integrated Conservation Mission, to accomplish the twin objectives of effective abatement of pollution, conservation, and rejuvenation of National River Ganga.
- The program is being implemented by the NMCG, and its state counterpart organization viz., State Program Management Groups (SPMGs).
- It has a budget outlay of Rs. 20,000 crore. The main pillars of the programme are:
- Sewerage Treatment Infrastructure & Industrial Effluent Monitoring,
- River-Front Development & River-Surface Cleaning,
- Bio-Diversity & Afforestation, and
- Public Awareness.
- Centre for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies (cGanga):
- It was established at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (IITK) in 2016.
- The Centre is a Centre of Excellence for data collection, the creation and dissemination of knowledge and information for the sustainable development of Ganga River Basin.
- The centre acts in the capacity of a comprehensive think-tank to the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), in its stated goals and objectives vis-à-vis the Ganga River Basin.