Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
IN-EUNAVFOR Joint Naval Exercise
- 19 Jun 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
The maiden Indian Navy - European Union Naval Force (IN-EUNAVFOR) Exercise is being conducted in Gulf Of Aden.
- Along with Indian Navy, other naval forces are from Italy, Spain and France.
- The naval exercise included advanced air defence and anti-submarine exercises, tactical manoeuvres, Search & Rescue, and other maritime security operations.
- To enhance and hone their war-fighting skills and their ability as an integrated force to promote peace, security and stability in the maritime domain.
- EUNAVFOR and the Indian Navy converge on multiple issues including counter piracy operations and protection of vessels deployed under the charter of World Food Programme (UN WFP).
- The two navies also have regular interaction through SHADE (Shared Awareness and Deconfliction) meetings held annually at Bahrain.
- SHADE is an international operational counter piracy platform, convened in Bahrain.
- It aimed to encourage partners for sharing information, assessing the evolution of trends, best practices and to de-conflict operations amongst counter-piracy actors in the Gulf of Aden, the Gulf of Oman and the Western Indian Ocean.
- It also underscores the shared values in ensuring freedom of seas and commitment to an open, inclusive and a rules-based international order.
- Concurrently, a virtual “Information sharing Exercise” is also being conducted between the Indian Navy Information Fusion Centre – Indian Ocean Region and Maritime Security Centre-Horn of Africa, an integral part of EUNAVFOR.
|Major Indian Maritime Exercises|
|Name of the Exercise||Name of the Country|
|Bongosagar and IN-BN CORPAT||Bangladesh|
|Malabar Exercise||Japan, and the USA|