Herbal Formulation for Tick Infestation
- 29 Mar 2022
- 3 min read
Why in News?
Recently, the National Innovation Foundation (NIF) brought out a Herbal Formulation that has been found to be effective in combating tick infestation among dairy animals.
- The NIF collaborated with the Indian Council of Agricultural Research--National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal, Haryana in the form of a Research Programme for field testing of Poly Herbal Medication.
What is Tick Infestation?
- The Ticks are harmful as blood sucking parasites severely affect productivity of dairy animals and a major economic impediment, welfare concern in dairy farming.
- Tick-Borne Pathogens (TBP) are a major source of production loss and a welfare concern in livestock across the globe.
- This causes tick worry, loss of appetite among animals causing reduction in milk production, thereby lessening farmers’ income.
- These parasites are vectors of systemic protozoan infection, threat to dairy animal health & productivity.
- Presently, farmers rely on chemical acaricides that are costly, have to be used recurrently due to the nature of parasites.
What is the New Formulation?
- The NIF has developed, standardised a formulation comprising common herbal ingredients like Neem (Azadirachta indica) and Nagod (Vitex negundo).
- These medicinal trees are widely known among indigenous communities, a common part of the medicinal system in treatment of various ailments.
- NIF’s polyherbal medication was found to demonstrate efficacy in field conditions and the development of technology-based on resources available in front of farm fields.
- The medicines’ successful demonstration will ensure cost-effective health care.
What is the National Innovation Foundation?
- It is an autonomous body which was set up in 2000 with the assistance of the Department of Science and Technology.
- It is India's national initiative to strengthen the grassroots technological innovations and outstanding traditional knowledge.
- Its mission is to help India become a creative and knowledge-based society by expanding policy and institutional space for grassroots technological innovators.
- It helps grassroot innovators and outstanding traditional knowledge holders get due recognition, respect and reward for their innovations