- 28 Jul 2021
- 3 min read
Why in News
The 12th Edition of Indo-Russia joint military Exercise INDRA will be held at Volgograd, Russia in August 2021.
- About Exercise INDRA:
- The exercise will entail conduct of counter terror operations under the United Nations mandate by a joint force against international terror groups.
- The INDRA series of exercises began in 2003 and was conducted as a bilateral naval exercise alternately between the two countries. However, the first joint Tri-Services Exercise was conducted in 2017.
- The last joint, tri-services exercise between India and Russia was conducted in India in December 2019. It was held simultaneously at Babina (near Jhansi), Pune, and Goa.
- Significance of Military Exercises:
- In the domain of international relations, military diplomacy has, in recent years, emerged as a major tool to further diplomatic interests of nations.
- Participation in international level military exercises is an indication of the highest level of trust and confidence between the member nations.
- On the operational side, military exercises enable militaries to understand each other’s drills and procedures, overcome language barriers, and facilitate familiarisation with equipment capabilities.
- This is particularly useful in the event of joint operations whether in war or in operations other than war (OOTW) like, humanitarian aid, disaster relief, anti-piracy, etc – when nations come together for a common cause.
- Perhaps, the most important advantage of joint military exercises is ‘strategic signalling’.
- A joint exercise with one or more nations serves the purpose of signalling to a third country the influence we have in the region and a demonstration of our resolve to further our diplomatic objectives.
- On the intangible side, military exercises promote brotherhood and camaraderie between soldiers and militaries.
- Besides goodwill, it is a tool for projection of a nation’s soft power – culture, language, customs, beliefs, food habits and lifestyle.
|Joint Military Exercises of India with Other Countries|
|Name of Exercise||Country|
|Mitra Shakti||Sri Lanka|