Bachpan Bachao Andolan
- 21 Jul 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Delhi High Court has sought responses from the Delhi government on a petition that said statements of child witnesses lodged at child welfare centres should be recorded through video conferencing and not physically in courts.
- The petition has been filed by Bachpan Bachao Andolan (BBA) in view of the outbreak of Covid-19.
- Bachpan Bachao Andolan:
- It is India's largest movement campaigning for the rights of children.
- It was started in 1980 by Nobel Laureate Kailash Satyarthi.
- Mission: Identify, release, rehabilitate and educate children in servitude through prevention, direct intervention, mass mobilisation and legal action to create a child-friendly society.
- Functions: As a Non Government Organisation (NGO), it has centred its focus on ending bonded labour, child labour and human trafficking, as well as demanding the right to education for all children.
- It organises Baal Panchayat on the occasion of World Day against Child Labour i.e. 12th June.
- It has so far freed more than 88,000 children from servitude, including bonded labourers.
- Nobel Prize: In 2014, Kailash Satyarthi was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize jointly with Malala Yousafzai for their contribution towards child education.