Science & Technology
Nobel Prizes 2019
- 15 Oct 2019
- 3 min read
The Nobel Foundation has declared the complete list of winners for 2019.
|Physics||James Peebles||Theoretical discoveries in physical cosmology|
|Discovery of an exoplanet “ 51 Pegasi b” orbiting a solar-type star.|
|Chemistry||John B Goodenough,
M Stanley Whittingham,
|Development of lithium-ion batteries.|
|Physiology/ Medicine||William G. Kaelin Jr,
Sir Peter J. Ratcliffe,
Gregg L. Semenza
|For discoveries on how cells sense and adapt to oxygen availability|
|Economic Sciences||Abhijit Banerjee,
|For the experimental approach to alleviating global poverty.|
|Literature||Peter Handke - 2019||
For an influential work that with linguistic ingenuity has explored the periphery and the specificity of human experience.
|Olga Tokarczuk - 2018||For a narrative imagination that with encyclopedic passion represents the crossing of boundaries as a form of life.|
|Peace||Abiy Ahmed Ali
(Prime Minister of Ethiopia)
|For an initiative to resolve the border conflict with neighboring Eritrea.|
About Nobel Prizes
- The will of the Swedish scientist Alfred Nobel established the five Nobel prizes in 1895.
- The Nobel Prizes are a set of recognition given to fields of Chemistry, Literature, Peace, Physics, and Physiology or Medicine by The Nobel Foundation.
- The Nobel Foundation is a private institution established in 1900, has ultimate responsibility for fulfilling the intentions in Alfred Nobel’s will.
- The prizes in Chemistry, Literature, Peace, Physics, and Physiology or Medicine were first awarded in 1901.
Who selects the Nobel Laureates?
- In his last will and testament, Alfred Nobel specifically designated the institutions responsible for the prizes he wished to be established:
- The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences for the Nobel Prize in Physics and Chemistry,
- Karolinska Institutet for the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine,
- The Swedish Academy for the Nobel Prize in Literature, and
- A Committee of five persons to be elected by the Norwegian Parliament (Storting) for the Nobel Peace Prize.
- In 1968, Sveriges Riksbank established the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel.
- The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences was given the task to select the Laureates in Economic Sciences starting in 1969.
- While the five Nobel Prizes are based on a fund set up from the wealth bequeathed by Alfred Nobel, the Economic Prize is based on a donation received by the Nobel Foundation in 1968 from Sveriges Riksbank.