Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
Asian Houbara Bustard
- 13 Jan 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Pakistan government has issued special permits to Dubai royal family members, allowing them to hunt the internationally protected bird houbara bustard during the 2020-21 hunting season.
- Bustards are large, terrestrial birds that belong to several species, including some of the largest flying birds.
- Two Distinct Species of Houbara Bustard: The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) recognises two distinct species found in:
- North Africa (Chlamydotis undulata) and
- Asia (Chlamydotis macqueenii).
- Habitat of Asian Houbara:
- The population of the Asian houbara bustards extends from northeast Asia, across central Asia, the Middle East, and the Arabian Peninsula to reach the Sinai desert (Egypt).
- After breeding in the spring, the Asian bustards migrate south to spend the winter in Pakistan, the Arabian Peninsula and nearby Southwest Asia.
- Reasons for Decline: Poaching, unregulated hunting, along with degradation of its natural habitat.
- Conservation Status: