Apiary on Wheels
- 14 Feb 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
The Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises has flagged off ‘Apiary on Wheels’.
- ‘Apiary on Wheels’ is a unique concept designed by the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) for the easy upkeep and migration of Bee Boxes having live Bee colonies.
- It is a holistic approach to address the challenges faced by the beekeepers. It is designed so as to reduce the labour and cost of maintaining and upkeeping Bee Boxes and live bee colonies across India.
- Apiary on Wheels is a platform which can carry 20 Bee Boxes from one place to another without any difficulty. It is like an attachment which can be easily connected with a Tractor or a Trolley and may be pulled to any suitable destination.
- The KVIC launched Honey Mission in 2017 and has been training beekeepers, distributing Bee Boxes and helping rural, educated but unemployed youth to earn extra income through beekeeping activities, at their doorstep.
Khadi and Village Industries Commission
- KVIC is a statutory body established under the Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act, 1956.
- The KVIC is charged with the planning, promotion, organisation and implementation of programmes for the development of Khadi and other village industries in the rural areas in coordination with other agencies engaged in rural development wherever necessary.
- It functions under the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.