Important Facts For Prelims (7th May 2019)
- 07 May 2019
- 6 min read
The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has distributed more than one lakh bee-boxes among farmers and unemployed youths across the country in less than two years under its 'Honey Mission' initiative to increase honey production and farmers’ income.
- Under the Honey Mission, KVIC provides awareness, training and ‘Bee Boxes’ along with Bee Colonies to the farmers.
- The mission was launched in August 2017 in line with the ‘Sweet Revolution’.
- The 'Sweet Revolution' was launched in 2016 to promote beekeeping and associated activities.
- According to the KVIC, the Mission has created more than 10,000 new jobs, besides creating around 25,000 additional man-days through the fabrication of bee boxes and honey extractors.
Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC)
- KVIC is a statutory body established under the Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act, 1956.
- The KVIC is charged with the planning, promotion, organisation and implementation of programmes for the development of Khadi and other village industries in the rural areas in coordination with other agencies engaged in rural development wherever necessary.
- It functions under the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.
Fourth Scorpene class Submarine Vela launched
- The Scorpene-class submarine “Vela”, the fourth of six underwater warships being built in India with French collaboration, has been launched in Mumbai, with an aim to boost Indian capability to defend and secure the strategic sea lanes.
- INS Vela was first commissioned on August 31, 1973 in the Indian Naval Service and continued to serve for 37 years. It was the country’s oldest submarine when it was decommissioned on June 25, 2010.
- A new Vela with modern machinery and technology to guard the seas, has been launched.
- The State-owned Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) has entered into a contract for construction and transfer of technology for six Scorpene-class submarines with French collaborator Ms Naval Group (formerly DCNS).
- Before Vela, MDL launched Kalvari, Khanderi, Karanj submarines.
- While Kalvari has been commissioned, the others are at various levels of trials and tests.
- 'Varuna', the 17th edition of a joint exercise of navies of India and France, currently underway off the coast of Goa, is the largest ever joint exercise undertaken by the two navies yet.
Significance and scope :
It represents the strengthened maritime co-operation between India and France. With 11 of the two countries’ modern units, including the western fleet’s Aircraft Carrier INS Vikramaditya and French Navy’s aircraft carrier FNS Charles De Guelle, the exercise will focus on interoperability between the two sides.
- It is an annual exercise.
- It is held in either the Indian Ocean or in the Mediterranean Sea.
France is the Littoral State of the Indian Ocean through the French Overseas region of Reunion, Mayotte & Scattered Islands in the Indian Ocean.
Other Joint exercises between and India and France:
- Shakti: Army (Land)
- Garuda: Air force
GRIHA for Existing Day Schools
Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA) Council recently released a rating tool ‘GRIHA for Existing Day Schools’ to evaluate the environmental performance of existing schools across India.
- The rating familiarises the students with the concepts of sustainability by involving them in evaluating the environmental impact of schools on the environment.
- It will help students and teachers in establishing contact with nature and with each other using the approach of co-creation and understanding.
- GRIHA, or Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment, is the national rating system of India for any completed building construction.
- GRIHA is recognised as India’s own green building rating system in India’s INDC submitted to UNFCCC
- It was conceived by TERI and developed jointly with the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
- The main objective of the rating system is to help design green buildings and, in turn, help evaluate the 'greenness' of the buildings.
- It is an assessment tool to measure and rate a building’s environmental performance.
- The rating system is based on four parameters:
- Site selection and planning
- Conservation and efficient utilization of resources
- Building operation and maintenance
- Innovation points