Anguilla: British Territory in Caribbean
- 05 Feb 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
Anguilla, an island in the Caribbean Sea, is a financial beneficiary of two latest trends in technology: Artificial intelligence (AI) and vanity URL (Uniform Resource Locator) or internet addresses.
- AI is the country code of Anguilla and it is also an acronym for Artificial Intelligence.
- Every time an internet address which ends with ".ai" is registered or renewed by AI startups or big companies or investors, the island collects a $50-a-year fee, which goes mostly to the government treasury.
- Vanity URL is a unique web address that is branded for marketing purposes. Vanity URLs are a type of custom URL that exists to help users remember and find a specific page of one’s website.
- It is an island in the eastern Caribbean Sea and a British overseas territory.
- The Caribbean Sea is a body of water adjacent to the Atlantic Ocean, southeast of the Gulf of Mexico.
- It was formed from coral and limestone and it has a tropical climate.
- The territory includes several small uninhabited offshore islands, the largest of which are Dog, Scrub, and Sombrero islands and the Prickly Pear Cays.
- The majority of the population of Anguilla is of African descent and most of the population is Christian.
- The main economic activities revolve around tourism and financial services and agriculture is of minor importance.