Important Facts For Prelims
- 28 Aug 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
Amnesty International (AI) India has demanded an independent investigation into all allegations of human rights violations by the police during the north-east Delhi riots.
- On 23rd February 2020, riots broke out in Northeast Delhi between Anti-Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA), 2019 and pro-CAA protestors. The violence took a communal turn and led to deaths, injuries and destruction of properties.
- Earlier, AI put forward its views on issues in J&K and the role of Foreigners Tribunals in Assam.
- Amnesty International (AI) is an international Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) founded in London (UK) in 1961.
- It seeks to publicise violations by governments and other entities of rights recognized in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948), especially freedom of speech and of conscience and the right against torture.
- In 1977, it was awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace.
- AI India is a part of the global human rights movement spearheaded by Amnesty International. It has its registered office in Bangalore (Karnataka).