Advanced Torpedo Decoy System: Maareech
- 27 Jun 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
The Indian Navy has inducted an Advanced Torpedo Defence System (ATDS) called ‘Maareech’ that is capable of being fired from all frontline ships.
- Torpedoes are self propelled weapons with a warhead and can be used under or on the water surface. They are one of the mainstay of sea-warfare attack systems.
- ‘Maareech’ has been designed and developed indigenously by the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and it is capable of detecting, locating and neutralizing incoming torpedoes.
- Bharat Electronics Limited, a Defence PSU, would undertake the production of this decoy system.
- Maareech detects and locate the incoming torpedo and applies countermeasures to protect the naval platform against attack.
- It first detects and then confuses and divert the torpedo attacks on ships from under the water.
- By diverting the torpedoes' original course, it forces it to lose its energy thus preventing it from being effective on target.