Why in News
- On September 24, 2021, Tehri Dam reservoir was filled for the first time to a height of 830 meters.
- It is worth mentioning that under the Tehri Hydroelectric Project, till now it is filled up to 828 meters, but in the month of August itself, after getting permission from the government, the water level was increased. With this, the Tehri Hydro Project will be able to generate electricity at its full capacity.
- It is noteworthy that ecologists have been raising concerns about the potential for disasters due to the construction of dams in the Himalayan region. In such a situation, given the sensitivity of the Himalayan ecology, the rise in the water level of the dams can pose a serious crisis, such as the recent rupture of the Nanda Devi Glacier caused a disaster situation in the area of Tapovan-Vishnugarh project.
- The Tehri Dam and Hydroelectric Project constructed on Bhagirathi River is being operated by Tehri Hydro Power Development Corporation India Limited.
- Power generation by this project was started in 2006. Tehri Hydroelectric Complex (2400 MW) has three components-
- Tehri Dam & Hydroelectric Project (1000 MW)
- Koteshwar Dam & Hydroelectric Project (400 MW)
- Tehri Pumped Storage Plant (1000 MW)
Why in News
- On September 24, 2021, Tourism Minister Satpal Maharaj inaugurated a special van 'Caravan' equipped with high comfort facilities for the people and tourists of Uttarakhand to travel to remote places of Uttarakhand.
- Maharaj said that this camping vehicle will provide all the facilities like home for the tourists who are fond of traveling. This vehicle has facilities like LCD TV, satellite TV, GPRS navigation system, washroom, pantry, microwave and other facilities.
- With this vehicle one can travel anywhere by road. It will directly benefit both the tourists and the people of Uttarakhand.
- The minister said that the caravan has been included in the Veer Chandra Singh Garhwali Tourism Self Employment Scheme. These are also included under MSME under Tourism Plan 2018 wherein local people can buy 'Caravans'.
Why in News
- On September 24, 2021, Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami along with Agriculture Minister Subodh Uniyal inaugurated the first-ever 'International Apple Festival' organized in the state under Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- This International Apple Festival will be organized in Dehradun from September 24 to 26.
- Apple growers from Himachal, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand and other states participated in the festival. About 50 apple varieties from across the country were included in this festival.
- The main objective of the festival is to promote apple production in the state and identify the apples of Uttarakhand to the international market so that the branding of Uttarakhand apples can be done from national to international market.
- On this occasion, Dhami announced the status of covid warriors to horticulture farmers/workers, and also announced doubling of the budget for the state government-run Mission Apple.
Switch to Hindi