Star marking (1-5) indicates the importance of topic for CSE
- 25 Sep 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
- On September 24, 2021, Tehri Dam reservoir was filled for the first time to a height of 830 meters.
- It is worth mentioning that under the Tehri Hydroelectric Project, till now it is filled up to 828 meters, but in the month of August itself, after getting permission from the government, the water level was increased. With this, the Tehri Hydro Project will be able to generate electricity at its full capacity.
- It is noteworthy that ecologists have been raising concerns about the potential for disasters due to the construction of dams in the Himalayan region. In such a situation, given the sensitivity of the Himalayan ecology, the rise in the water level of the dams can pose a serious crisis, such as the recent rupture of the Nanda Devi Glacier caused a disaster situation in the area of Tapovan-Vishnugarh project.
- The Tehri Dam and Hydroelectric Project constructed on Bhagirathi River is being operated by Tehri Hydro Power Development Corporation India Limited.
- Power generation by this project was started in 2006. Tehri Hydroelectric Complex (2400 MW) has three components-
- Tehri Dam & Hydroelectric Project (1000 MW)
- Koteshwar Dam & Hydroelectric Project (400 MW)
- Tehri Pumped Storage Plant (1000 MW)