Switch To Hindi
Zoram Mega Food Park: Mizoram
- 21 Jul 2020
- 3 min read
Why in News
Recently, the government has operationalized the first Mega Food Park (MFP) of Mizoram i.e. Zoram Mega Food Park.
- It has been set up under the ‘Mega Food Park Scheme’.
- Zoram MFP:
- It is located in Khamrang village in Kolasib District, Mizoram.
- It is spread over 55 acres of land and is set up at a cost of Rs. 75. 20 crores.
- It is not only expected to benefit the people of Mizoram but also that of adjoining districts in Assam.
- Assam already has a MFP in its Nalbari district- North East Mega Food Park.
- It will boost the North-East Region’s potential to become the organic destination of the world due to its rich agricultural and horticultural produce.
- Sikkim has already been declared as an organic state.
- Mega Food Park Scheme:
- Launched in: 2008-09 under the purview of the Ministry of Food Processing Industries.
- Aim: To provide a mechanism to link agricultural production to the market by bringing together farmers, processors and retailers so as to ensure maximizing value addition, minimizing wastage, increasing farmers income and creating employment opportunities particularly in the rural sector.
- The Scheme is based on the “Cluster” approach and envisages creation of state of art support infrastructure in a well-defined agri/horticultural zone for setting up of modern food processing units in the industrial plots provided in the park with a well-established supply chain.
- A Mega food Park typically consists of supply chain infrastructure including collection centers (cc), primary processing centers (ppc) central processing centers (cpc), cold chain and around 25-30 fully developed plots for entrepreneurs to set up food processing units.
- Financial Assistance:
- The central government provides financial assistance upto Rs. 50 Crore per Mega Food Park (MFP) project.
- The MFP project is implemented by a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) which is a Body Corporate registered under the Companies Act, 2013.
- Presently, 18 MFP Projects are under implementation in various states and 19 Mega Food Parks have already become functional in the States.
- It is in line with the ‘Make in India’ and ‘Atmanirbhar’ vision of the Government of India.