- 06 Dec 2019
- 2 min read
Why in News
In Kanchikacherla of Andhra Pradesh, a ‘Zero FIR’ was registered for a missing boy and he was found within 24 hours after the investigation was taken up.
- Zero FIR’s were registered earlier as well but this was the first case in which it was done for “quick action”.
- It means that an FIR can be filed in any police station, irrespective of the jurisdictional limitations and location of the incident.
- The respective police station takes in the FIR and marks it as a zero FIR by giving it serial number zero and immediately transfer the documents over to the concerned jurisdiction.
- It was initially highlighted after the Nirbhaya Case, 2012.
- Zero FIRs may be registered on the basis of a woman’s statement at any police station irrespective of jurisdiction. This means women can file an FIR at any police station and the complaint is required to be registered on the basis of the woman’s complaint verbatim.
- The police officers who fail to comply with the registration of Zero FIR may invite prosecution under Section 166A of IPC and also departmental action.