World Conference on Access to Medical Products
- 21 Nov 2019
- 2 min read
Why in News
The 2019 World Conference on Access to Medical Products: Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 2030 was convened from 19th-21st November in New Delhi.
- It was jointly organized by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and the World Health Organization in collaboration with the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC), and Translational Health Science and Technology Institute (THSTI).
- The 2019 Conference was the third such gathering after the 2017 and 2018 World Conference on Access to Medical Products organized in November 2017 and October 2018 by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
- It sought to take forward the international and national agenda on access to medical products.
- The objectives of the conference were:
- UHC and Innovation: Explore new approaches in the innovation landscape in medical products for achieving Universal Health Coverage (UHC) and the SDG 2030 goals.
- Regulation of medical products and access: Identify regulatory mechanisms for improved access to quality and safe medical products.
- Legal landscape and trade-related aspects: Discuss the role of intellectual property and current trade agreements to promote access to medical products.
- To track the progress of recommendations from the 2018 World Conference on Access to Medical Products for achieving UHC in the context of SDGs.
- Sustainable Development Goal-3 (SDG 3)- Good Health and Well-being aims at ensuring healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- Health finds mention in many of the 17 SDGs, as each has a direct or indirect bearing on health.