Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
Vertical Launch Short Range Surface to Air Missile: DRDO
- 08 Dec 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
The Vertical Launch Short Range Surface to Air Missile (VL-SRSAM) was successfully flight tested by the Defence Research & Development Organization (DRDO) for the second consecutive time since February this year.
- It was launched from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur.
- About the VL-SRSAM:
- It is a quick reaction surface-to-air-missile indigenously designed and developed by DRDO for the Indian Navy, is meant for neutralising various aerial threats at close ranges, including sea-skimming targets.
- The missile has an operational range of 50 to km distance and features mid course inertial guidance through fiber optic gyroscope and active radar homing in terminal phase
- The launch of the system was conducted to validate integrated operation of all weapon system components, including the vertical launcher unit with controller, canisterised flight vehicle and weapon control system.
- The successful testing of these systems is crucial for future launches of the missile from Indian Naval ships.
- It will further boost the defence capability of Indian Naval Ships against aerial threats. It has also paved the way for integration of weapon systems onboard the Indian naval ships.
- Developed By:
- The key DRDO facilities that contributed to the development of the system are the Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) and Research Centre Imarat (RCI), both from Hyderabad, and Research & Development Establishment (Engineers), based at Pune.
Defence Research & Development Organization:
- It is the Research & Development wing of the Ministry of Defence, with a vision to empower India with cutting-edge defence technologies.
- It was established in 1958 after combining the Technical Development Establishment (TDEs) of the Indian Army and the Directorate of Technical Development & Production (DTDP) with the Defence Science Organization (DSO).