United Nations Day
- 24 Oct 2019
- 1 min read
Each year on 24 October, the United Nations (UN) celebrates its anniversary. UN Day marks the anniversary of the entry into force of the UN Charter and the founding of the Organization in 1945.
- The name "United Nations" was coined by United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- The main organs of the UN are:
- the General Assembly,
- the Security Council,
- the Economic and Social Council,
- the Trusteeship Council,
- the International Court of Justice,
- the UN Secretariat.
- The forerunner of the United Nations was the League of Nations, an organization conceived in circumstances of the First World War, and established in 1919 under the Treaty of Versailles "to promote international cooperation and to achieve peace and security."
- It will celebrate its 75th anniversary on 24 October 2020.