Unique Disability Identification Portal
- 08 May 2021
- 3 min read
Why in News
The Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has issued a notification making it mandatory for all States/UTs to grant certificate of disability through online mode only using UDID (Unique Disability ID) portal w.e.f. 01.06.2021.
- Unique Disability Identification (UDID) Portal:
- The project is being implemented with a view of creating a National Database for persons with disabilities (PwDs), and to issue a Unique Disability Identity Card to each PwDs.
- The project will not only encourage transparency, efficiency and ease of delivering the government benefits to the person with disabilities, but also ensure uniformity.
- The project will also help in stream-lining the tracking of physical and financial progress of beneficiaries at all levels of hierarchy of implementation – from village level, block level, District level, State level and National level.
- Right of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016:
- Right of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016 replaces the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995.
- Disability has been defined based on an evolving and dynamic concept.
- It increases the quantum of reservation for people suffering from disabilities from 3% to 4% in government jobs and from 3% to 5% in higher education institutes.
- This Act brings our law in line with the United National Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD), to which India is a signatory.
- Other Programmes/Initiatives for Disableds:
- Accessible India Campaign: Creation of Accessible Environment for PwDs.
- DeenDayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme: Financial assistance is provided to NGOs for providing various services to Persons with Disabilities.
- Assistance to Disabled Persons for Purchase/fitting of Aids and Appliances (ADIP): It aims at helping the disabled persons by bringing suitable, durable, scientifically-manufactured, modern, standard aids and appliances within their reach.
- National Fellowship for Students with Disabilities: It aims to increase opportunities to students with disabilities for pursuing higher education.