- 24 Nov 2020
- 3 min read
Why in News
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, in coordination with the Ministry of External Affairs, has launched an international version of the government’s UMANG app.
- The international version of UMANG app called ‘UMANG International’ was launched to mark three years of UMANG (UMANG App was launched in 2017).
- Coverage: The international version is for select countries that include USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE, Netherlands, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand.
- Expected Benefits:
- It will help Indian international students, NRIs and Indian tourists abroad, to avail Government of India services, anytime.
- It will also help in taking India to the world through ‘Indian Culture’ services available on UMANG and create interest amongst foreign tourists to visit India.
- UMANG App:
- The UMANG mobile app (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) is a Government of India all-in-one single, unified, secure, multi-channel, multi-lingual, multi-service mobile app.
- It provides access to high impact services of various organizations of Centre and States. Presently it has 2000+ services.
- The aim of UMANG is to fast-track mobile governance in India.
- UMANG enables ‘Ease of Living’ for Citizens by providing easy access to a plethora of Indian government services ranging from – Healthcare, Finance, Education, Housing, Energy, Agriculture, Transport to even Utility and Employment and Skills.
- The key partners of UMANG are Employee Provident Fund Organization, Direct Benefit Transfer scheme departments, Employee State Insurance Corporation, Ministries of Health, Education, Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Staff Selection Commission (SSC).
- The top 3 States based on average monthly transactions are - Gujarat, Haryana and Madhya Pradesh.
- UMANG was developed by the National e-Governance Division (NeGD), Ministry of Electronics & IT.
- It is a ‘Digital India’ initiative.
- UMANG attained ‘Best m-Government service’ award at the 6th World Government Summit held at Dubai, UAE in February 2018.