Thenzawl Golf Resort in Mizoram
- 05 Aug 2020
- 3 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Thenzawl Golf Resort Project in Mizoram has been virtually inaugurated.
- The project was implemented under the Swadesh Darshan Scheme of the Ministry of Tourism, Government of India.
- The project was sanctioned under the Integrated Development of New Eco-Tourism under Swadesh Darshan-North East Circuit at Thenzawl and South Zote, District Serchhip and Reiek, Mizoram.
- Eco-Tourism has been broadly defined as tourism which is ecologically sustainable.
- A total amount of Rs. 92.25 crore was sanctioned for it, out of which Rs. 64.48 crore was sanctioned for various components at Thenzawl including the golf course which is designed to have facilities of international standards.
- The competitive advantage of Thenzawl Golf Course is that it will provide quality golfing experience at a fair price.
- Golf Tourism in India:
- Currently, India has more than 230 golf courses in all out of which several are of international standards and golf events held there attract domestic and international tourists.
- Golf tourism has a strong potential in India because the climatic condition is more favourable here as compared to most countries.
- India’s picturesque landscapes and exceptional hospitality services add to the enhanced experience.
- The Ministry of Tourism, Government of India endeavours to work as a catalyst and active supporter for the development of golf tourism in the country.
- For that, it is creating a comprehensive and coordinated framework for promoting golf tourism in India as a niche tourism product.
Swadesh Darshan Scheme
- It was launched in 2014-15 for integrated development of theme-based tourist circuits in the country.
- Currently, there are 15 theme based circuits - Buddhist, Coastal, Desert, Eco, Heritage, Himalayan, Krishna, North-east, Ramayana, Rural, Spiritual, Sufi, Tirthankara, Tribal and Wildlife.
- Theme-based tourist circuits are developed on the principles of high tourist value, competitiveness and sustainability in an integrated manner to enrich tourist experience and enhance employment opportunities.
- It is a Central Sector Scheme.
- Under the scheme, the Ministry of Tourism provides Central Financial Assistance (CFA) to State Governments/Union Territory Administrations for infrastructure development of circuits.
- This scheme is envisioned to synergise with other schemes like Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Skill India, Make in India, etc. with the idea of positioning the tourism sector as a major engine for job creation, driving force for economic growth, building synergy with various sectors to enable tourism to realise its potential.