Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
Swatantrata Sainik Samman Yojana
- 09 Mar 2022
- 2 min read
Why in News?
The Centre has approved the continuation of the Swatantrata Sainik Samman Yojana (SSSY), under which freedom fighters and their eligible dependents are given pension and other financial benefits, till 2025-26.
What are the Key Points?
- The Government of India introduced the 'Ex-Andaman Political Prisoners Pension Scheme' in 1969 to honor the freedom fighters who had been incarcerated in the Cellular Jail at Port Blair.
- In 1972, to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of Independence, a regular scheme for grant of freedom fighters' pension was introduced.
- Since 1980, a liberalized scheme, namely the 'Swatantrata Sainik Samman Pension Scheme, 1980' has been implemented.
- From the financial year 2017-18 onwards, the nomenclature of the Scheme has been changed as 'Swatantrata Sainik Samman Yojana’.
- The amount of pension has been revised from time to time and Dearness Relief is also given since 2016.
- About the Scheme:
- The scheme provides for a monthly Samman Pension to freedom fighters, as a token of respect for their contribution in the national freedom struggle.
- On their demise, pension is provided to their eligible dependents viz. spouses and thereafter, unmarried and unemployed daughters and dependent parents, as per prescribed eligibility norms and procedure.
- It is implemented by the Ministry of Home Affairs (Freedom Fighters Division).
- There are 23,566 beneficiaries across the country covered under this scheme.