Swarna Jayanti Fellowship: DST
- 13 Nov 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
The Department of Science & Technology (DST) has selected 21 scientists for the Swarna Jayanti fellowship.
- The Swarna Jayanti Fellowships scheme was instituted by the Government of India to commemorate India's fiftieth year of Independence.
- It provides special assistance and support to a selected number of young scientists with a proven track record to enable them to pursue basic research in frontier areas of science and technology.
- The award consists of a Fellowship of Rs. 25000 per month in addition to the salary drawn from the parent Institute along with a Research Grant of Rs. 5 lakh per annum by Department of Science and Technology (DST) for a period of 5 years.
- In addition to fellowship, grants for equipment, computational facilities, consumables, contingencies, national and international travel, and other special requirements, if any, is covered based on merit.
- The fellowships are scientist specific and not institution-specific, very selective, and have close academic monitoring.
- Scientists selected for the award are allowed to pursue unfettered research with a freedom and flexibility in terms of expenditure as approved in the research plan.
- The project should contain innovative research ideas and it should have a potential of making impact on R&D in the discipline.
- The project submitted by the selected Fellows are considered for funding by the Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB) as per SERB norms.
- SERB is a statutory body under the Department of Science and Technology, established by an Act of the Parliament of India in 2009.