Suryakiran Aerobatic Team
- 01 Mar 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
The Suryakiran Aerobatic Team (SKAT) and Sarang helicopter display team along with the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) will perform at an air show at Galle Face in Colombo from 3rd-5th March 2021 as part the 70th anniversary celebrations of the Sri Lankan Air Force (SLAF).
- This will be the first performance for the SKAT team outside India since it was resurrected in 2015 with Hawk Advanced Jet Trainers (AJT). Earlier, the SKAT team toured Sri Lanka during the 50th anniversary of SLAF in 2001.
- About the Suryakiran Aerobatic Team:
- The team was formed in 1996 with Kiran Mk-II aircraft and had enthralled spectators across the country till 2011.
- It was revived in 2015 with Hawk trainers initially with four aircraft and grew to the nine aircraft formation.
- The SKAT team, also known as 52 Squadron or The Sharks, is based in Bidar (Karnataka).
- Since its inception, the SKAT team has carried out over 600 displays all around the country, it has also represented India across southeast Asia including China.
- 1971 Commemorations:
- Marking the golden jubilee year of the 1971 Liberation War of Bangladesh, the SKAT team has been flying different formations over landmarks across the country starting from Kanyakumari in the south.
- Sarang Helicopter Display Team:
- The Sarang team has evolved from the ALH Evaluation Flight (AEF) which was formed in 2003 at Bangalore to evaluate the indigenous helicopter prior to its induction into operational service.
- The Indian Air Force aerobatic team Sarang (Peacock) comprises four Indian built Dhruv helicopters (an Advanced Light Helicopter - ALH, built by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, Bangalore).
- Aircraft in India: