Spandana: An Andhra Pradesh Initiative
- 23 Dec 2019
- 1 min read
Why in News
Spandana, an Andhra Pradesh Government initiative to make police stations more approachable for the public, especially women, is winning accolades and awards.
- Spandana (means response) centres have been established within the premises of all District Collector offices and police stations.
- These centres mostly have a female receptionist and other staff members who are trained, briefed and sensitised in handling women victims and complainants.
- There are two broad reasons why Spandana initiative has succeeded:
- One is the use of technology. With Spandana centres spread across the district, each having video conferencing facility, it is easier and cheaper for people to lodge complaints. They no longer have to travel to the district headquarters to follow up.
- The second reason is the special attention to women complainants.