Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet Technology
- 06 Mar 2021
- 4 min read
Why in News
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully conducted the test of the Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet (SFDR) technology, which is crucial for the indigenous development of long range air-to-air missiles.
- Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet (SFDR) Technology:
- SFDR technology is a missile propulsion system based on the concept of Ramjet Engine principle.
- The system utilises a solid fuelled air-breathing ramjet engine.
- Unlike solid-propellant rockets, the Ramjet takes up oxygen from the atmosphere during flight. Thus, it is light in weight and can carry more fuel.
- DRDO began developing SFDR first in 2017 and had conducted successful tests in 2018 and 2019 as well.
- Successful demonstration of SFDR technology will enable DRDO to develop indigenous long range air-to-air missiles.
- At present, such technology is available only with a handful of countries in the world.
- Air-to-air missiles which use SFDR technology can achieve longer ranges as they do not require oxidisers (take oxygen from the atmosphere).
- The missile based on SFDR fly at supersonic speeds and high manoeuvrability ensures the target aircraft cannot get away.
- Defence Research and Development Organisation:
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) works under the administrative control of the Ministry of Defence, Government of India.
- It is working to establish a world class science and technology base for India and provides Defence Services decisive edge by equipping them with internationally competitive systems and solutions.
- It was established in 1958 after combining Technical Development Establishment (TDEs) of the Indian Army and the Directorate of Technical Development & Production (DTDP) with the Defence Science Organisation (DSO).
- It is responsible for carrying out Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP).
- Some of the recent tests conducted by DRDO:
- A ramjet is a form of air-breathing jet engine that uses the vehicle’s forward motion to compress incoming air for combustion without a rotating compressor.
- Ramjets work most efficiently at supersonic speeds but they are not efficient at hypersonic speeds.
Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme
- IGMDP was the brainchild of renowned scientist Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam.
- It was intended to attain self-sufficiency in the field of missile technology.
- After keeping in mind the requirements of various types of missiles by the defense forces, the program recognized the need to develop five missile systems.
- The IGMDP formally got the approval of Indian government on 26th July, 1983.
- The missiles developed under IGMDP are:
- Short-range surface-to-surface ballistic missile – Prithvi
- Intermediate-range surface-to-surface ballistic missile – Agni
- Short-range low-level surface-to-air missile – Trishul
- Medium-range surface-to-air missile – Akash
- Third generation anti-tank missile – Nag