Smog Tower in Delhi
- 26 Nov 2019
- 1 min read
Why in News
A smog tower is being planned for the National Capital Region (NCR)-Delhi to create a clean air zone in the region.
- The smog tower is one of the devices to control air pollution in NCR-Delhi.
- It is expected to reduce particulate matter by 50% in the area.
- The filters being installed would use carbon nanofibres as a major component.
- The proposed smog tower is focused only on reducing particulate matter load at present.
- It will majorly help to reduce the severity of air pollution in NCR-Delhi.
- Smog towers are structures designed to work as large-scale air purifiers.
- They are usually fitted with multiple layers of air filters, which clean the air of pollutants as it passes through them.
- China has the world’s largest smog tower and has reduced PM 2.5 by 19% in an area of around 6 sq km in the tower’s vicinity.