Switch To Hindi
SDG India Index by NITI Aayog
- 31 Dec 2019
- 3 min read
Why in News
NITI Aayog has released the second edition of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) India Index (SDG Index 2.0).
- The index documents the progress made by India’s States and Union Territories towards achieving the 2030 SDG targets.
- The Index spans 16 out of 17 SDGs which marks an improvement over the 2018 Index, which covered only 13 goals.
- The SDG India Index has been developed in collaboration with the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI), the United Nations, and the Global Green Growth Institute.
- The year 2020 will be the 5th anniversary of the adoption of SDGs by 193 countries at the UN General Assembly.
- A composite score for SDG Index (2019) was computed in the range of 0–100 for each State/UT based on its aggregate performance across 16 SDGs.
- The higher the score of a State/UT, the closer it is towards achieving the 2030 national targets.
- States /UTs are classified based on the SDG India Index Score as follows:
- Aspirant: 0–49
- Performer: 50–64
- Front Runner: 65–99
- Achiever: 100
- India's composite score improved from 57 in 2018 to 60 in 2019-20 with major success in water and sanitation, power and industry.
- However, nutrition and gender equality continue to be problem areas for India, requiring a more focused approach from the government
- The ranks of 14 states have dropped in the index compared to 2018.
- All states and union territories except for Delhi have scored above 65.
State/UT Wise Analysis
- Kerala has the top rank with a score of 70 followed by Himachal Pradesh with 69 points. Further, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Telangana shared the third spot with each state scoring 67 on the Index.
- Bihar has emerged as the worst performer with the lowest score of 50. Jharkhand, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya and Uttar Pradesh are also some of the worst-performing states on the index.
- Uttar Pradesh has shown maximum improvement followed by Odisha and Sikkim.
- Union Territories:
- Chandigarh has topped the list with the score of 70 followed by Puducherry with 66.