San-Sadhan Hackathon: Divyang Accessible Toilets
- 23 Aug 2019
- 3 min read
The government has invited applications for its latest initiative under the Swachh Bharat Mission, called the ‘San-Sadhan’ Hackathon,
- The initiative aims to ease lives of Divyangjan by making toilets smarter, more accessible, and easier to use.
- It is being jointly Organized by :
- The Objective of San-Sadhan Hackathon are:
- Affordable, compact, flexible to use & design and scalability to suit variable area requirements.
- Demands of different disabilities, geographies, age groups, genders and cultures have to be kept in mind.
- Specifically, issues of wheelchair users, amputees, visually impaired and conditionally disabled (person with fracture, pregnant women, lactating mothers, elderlies etc.) need to be addressed.
- The solution could be developed for any one of the following categories:
- Rural Individual Use Toilet
- Rural Community Use Toilet
- Urban Individual Use Toilet
- Urban Community Use Toilet
- As per the 2011 census, 2.68 crore people in the country fall under the category of ‘Divyangs’.
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
- The Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (SBA) or Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) was launched on October 2, the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi in 2014.
- It aims to clean up the streets, roads and infrastructure of India’s cities, towns, and rural areas and achieve an open-defecation free India by October 2, 2019, the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Also aims to build 90 million rural toilets in the country.
- Further, the mission will also help India meet the Sustainable Development Goal-6 (SDG 6), as established by the UN in 2015.
Other Initiatives Related to Divyangjan
- Recently, the second "Disability Summit, 2019" took place in Buenos Aires, Argentina with the hope of achieving real change for people with disabilities.
- The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) is a comprehensive human rights convention and international development tool and is at the heart of the disability rights movement.
- India had enacted the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016.
- The international day of persons with disabilities is observed every year on 3rd December.
- Recently the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment organised Regional Conference on “Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme (DDRS)” in Mumbai.
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) had launched Accessible Elections initiative in Lok Sabha Election-2019 to make the election process more participative and inclusive.
- Recently, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment entered into Guinness Book of World Records for implanting ‘Modern Artificial Limbs (Legs)’ on 260 Divyangjans within eight hours.