Disability Summit, 2019
- 07 Jun 2019
- 3 min read
The Government of Argentina, International Alliance Disability (IDA) and the Latin American Network of Non-Governmental Organizations of Persons with Disabilities and their Families (RIADIS) are hosting second "Disability Summit, 2019 ", which will take place in Buenos Aires.
- The first "Global Disability Summit", held in London in 2018.
- The Summit represents an opportunity to reflect on the formulation and strengthening of public policies and good practices in the different discussion panels, with the voices of people with disabilities to be at the forefront.
- The Summit will bring together governments, organizations of people with disabilities, civil society organizations, international organizations, international cooperation agencies, academia and the private sector, with the hope of achieving real change for people with disabilities.
- The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) is a comprehensive human rights convention and international development tool and is at the heart of the disability rights movement.
International Alliance Disability (IDA)
- The International Disability Alliance (IDA) was created in 1999, it is an umbrella organization focused on improving awareness and rights for individuals with disabilities around the globe.
- It is an alliance of eight global and six regional organisations of persons with disabilities.
- It advocates at the UN for a more inclusive global environment for persons with disabilities and their organisations.
- The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) is an optional UN protocol. It was adopted on 13 December 2006 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
- India signed the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) and subsequently ratified the same on 1st October 2007. The Convention came into effect on 3rd May 2008.
- Being a signatory to the Convention, India has an international obligation to comply with the provisions of the Convention.
- India has passed, The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill - 2016.
- The international day of persons with disabilities is observed on 3rd December.