- 23 Nov 2019
- 1 min read
Why in News
SAMEER App is one of the air pollution mitigation measures which provides hourly updates on the National Air Quality Index (AQI).
- The app is developed by the Central Pollution Control Bureau (CPCB) which provides information on air quality for more than 100 cities across the country.
- The app represents the listed cities in a colour-coded format based on their AQI levels.
- The app can also be used to file or track complaints related to garbage dumping, road dust, vehicular emissions or other pollution issues in a particular area.
National Air Quality Index (AQI)
- The AQI is an index for reporting daily air quality.
- It focuses on health effects one might experience within a few hours or days after breathing polluted air.
- AQI is calculated for eight major air pollutants:
- Ground-level ozone,
- Carbon monoxide,
- Sulfur dioxide,
- Nitrogen dioxide,
- Ground-level ozone and airborne particles are the two pollutants that pose the greatest threat to human health in India.