Important Facts For Prelims
- 14 May 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Ministry of Tourism organised a webinar- ‘Exploring River Nila’ as a part of the Dekho Apna Desh Webinar series.
- River Nila is also known as Bharathapuzha and Ponnani.
- Origin: Amaravathipuzha originating from Thrimoorthy Hills of Anamalais in Tamil Nadu joins with Kalpathipuzha at Parali in Palakkad District and forms Nila.
- Drainage Area: Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- It flows westward through Palakkad Gap (most prominent discontinuity in the western ghats) and drains into the Arabian Sea.
- Main Tributaries: Kannadipuzha (Chitturpuzha), Kalpathipuzha (Korapuzha), Gayathripuzha and Thuthapuzha
- Malampuzha dam is the largest among the reservoirs built across Bharathapuzha.