Renewable Energy Management Centers (REMCs)
- 29 Feb 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Northern Region Renewable Energy Management Centre (NR-REMC) was inaugurated at a function in New Delhi.
- Renewable Energy Management Centers (REMCs)
- They are equipped with Artificial Intelligence based Renewable Energy (RE) forecasting and scheduling tools.
- They provide greater visualization and enhanced situational awareness to the grid operators.
- Renewal energy supply can be seasonal (wind) or limited to some hours in the day (solar). It disturbs the power grid, used to seamless supply of thermal power.
- Need: The Government of India’s target of 175 GW Renewable Energy (RE) capacity by 2022 driving accelerated RE penetration poses challenges to the grid management due to intermittent and variable nature of RE generation.
- The Government of India had approved the implementation of the REMCs as a Central Scheme and had mandated POWERGRID, a Maharatna Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE) under the Ministry of Power as an Implementing Agency.
- Presently, 55 GW of Renewable (Solar and Wind) is being monitored through the eleven REMCs, located in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan.