Initiatives for Gender Equality in Science
- 29 Feb 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
The President of India has announced a few initiatives for gender advancement and equality in academic and research institutions on the National Science Day (28th February) celebrations.
- The theme for National Science Day 2020 is “Women in Science”.
- Vigyan Jyoti Scheme:
- Vigyan Jyoti Scheme is launched by the Department of Science & Technology (DST).
- It is intended to create a level-playing field for the meritorious girls in high school to pursue Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) in their higher education.
- It also offers exposure for girl students from the rural background to help to plan their journey from school to a job of their choice in the field of science.
- GATI Scheme:
- The Gender Advancement for Transforming Institutions (GATI) will develop a comprehensive Charter and a framework for assessing Gender Equality in STEM.