- 10 Aug 2021
- 3 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Prime Minister released the 9th instalment of financial benefit under Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN).
- Further, the Prime Minister also interacted with farmer beneficiaries during the event.
- Under the scheme, the Centre transfers an amount of Rs 6,000 per year, in three equal instalments, directly into the bank accounts of all landholding farmers irrespective of the size of their land holdings.
- It was launched in February 2019.
- Funding and Implementation:
- It is a Central Sector Scheme with 100% funding from the Government of India.
- It is being implemented by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
- Identification of Beneficiaries:
- The entire responsibility of identification of beneficiary farmer families rests with the State/UT Governments.
- To supplement the financial needs of the Small and Marginal Farmers in procuring various inputs to ensure proper crop health and appropriate yields, commensurate with the anticipated farm income at the end of each crop cycle.
- To protect them from falling in the clutches of moneylenders for meeting such expenses and ensure their continuance in the farming activities.
- Highlights of the Prime Minister’s Address:
- The Prime Minister launched a National Edible Oil Mission-Oil Palm (NMEO-OP) as a pledge for achieving self-reliance in edible oil.
- For the first time, India has reached among the top-10 countries of the world in terms of agricultural exports.
- Biggest ever purchase from farmers at Minimum Support Price (MSP), Rs 1,70,000 crore have reached directly into the accounts of rice farmers and about Rs. 85,000 crore to wheat farmers.
- Small farmers are now being given utmost priority in the agricultural policies of the country.
- The Prime Minister touched upon initiatives like Mission Honey-Bee and making saffron from Jammu & Kashmir in the National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Limited (NAFED) shops.
- Indian agriculture and farmers have a big role in determining the condition of India in 2047, when the country completes 100 years of independence.
- Other Initiatives for Farmers: