Persecution of Uighurs
Why in News
- According to leaked Chinese government documents, there was a clampdown on Uighurs and other Muslims in the country’s western Xinjiang region.
- According to the United Nations experts and activists, at least 1 million Uighurs and members of other largely Muslim minority groups have been detained in camps in Xinjiang in a crackdown.
- The documents reveal that the Chinese leadership’s fears were heightened by terrorist attacks in other countries and the U.S. drawdown of troops from Afghanistan.
- Uighur is a predominantly Turkic-speaking ethnic group.
- They are primarily confined in China’s northwestern region of Xinjiang and is one of the largest Muslim group in that region.