Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
- 04 Jul 2022
- 2 min read
Why in News?
Recently, the Railway Protection Force recovered narcotics products valued over Rs. 7.40 Crore under Operation NARCOS.
What are the Key Highlights related to Operation NARCOS?
- In order to bring attention to the menace of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances, a month-long pan India drive against smuggling of narcotics through rail was launched under code name Operation “NARCOS” in the month of June-2022.
- RPF intensified its checks in trains and in identified black spots across the country in coordination with Narcotics Control Bureau and other Law Enforcement Agencies to target drug peddlers involved in this illegal trade.
What is the Railway Protection Force?
- The contingent of RPF is an Armed Force of the Union of India. It is a security force under the ownership of Indian Railways, Ministry of Railways.
- The history of the RPF dates back to 1882 when various railway companies appointed their own guards for protection of railway property.
- The force was declared a statutory force in 1957 by an enactment of Parliament, subsequently declared as an Armed Force of the Union of India in 1985.
- RPF has been entrusted with responsibility for the safety of Railway property.
What are the other Initiatives of RPF?
- Operation AAHT:
- Special teams will be deployed on all long-distance trains/routes with focus on rescuing victims, particularly women and children, from the clutches of traffickers.
- Meri Saheli Initiative:
- The initiative will focus on the safety of women passengers. It was launched as a pilot project in South Eastern Railway in September 2020. It was then extended to all zones.
- Operation Yatri Surakhsha:
- Under “Operation Yatri Surakhsha”, RPF also supports state police in the fighting against passenger crime.
- Operation Nanhe Farishte:
- It saved 1,045 children who were found alone or were abandoned at the railway stations.