Online NISHTHA Programme
- 17 Jul 2020
- 3 min read
Why in News
Recently, the National Initiative for School Heads and Teachers Holistic Advancement (NISHTHA) programme has been launched for the first time in online mode in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
- Initially, the NISHTHA programme was launched in 2019 through face-to-face mode to improve learning outcomes at the elementary level in the country.
- Covid-19 pandemic situation and lockdown has affected the conduct of this programme in face-to-face mode. Therefore, NISHTHA has been customized for online mode to be conducted through Digital Infrastructure for Knowledge Sharing (DIKSHA) and NISHTHA portals.
- National Initiative for School Heads’ and Teachers’ Holistic Advancement (NISHTHA) is a capacity building programme for improving the quality of school education through integrated teacher training.
- It aims to build competencies among all the teachers and school principals at the elementary stage.
- The functionaries (at the state, district, block level) will be trained in an integrated manner on learning outcomes, school based assessment, learner – centred pedagogy, new initiatives in education, addressing diverse needs of children through multiple pedagogies, etc.
- It is being organized by constituting National Resource Groups (NRGs) and State Resource Groups (SRGs) at the National and the State level who will be training 42 lakhs teachers subsequently.
Digital Infrastructure for Knowledge Sharing
- DIKSHA Portal was launched by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD in 2017.
- It provides a digital platform for teachers giving them an opportunity to learn and train themselves and connect with the teacher community.
- It is built considering the whole teacher's life cycle - from the time student teachers enroll in Teacher Education Institutes (TEIs) to after they retire as teachers.
- It also provides access to NCERT textbooks and lessons, following the regular school curriculum.
- States, government bodies and even private organisations, can integrate DIKSHA into their respective teacher initiatives based on their goals, needs and capabilities.