ONGC Para Games 2022
- 03 Aug 2022
- 3 min read
Why in News?
Recently, the Government of India inaugurated the 4th Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Para Games in New Delhi.
What do we know about ONGC Para Games?
- ONGC Para Games is a special Human Resource Initiative to provide Equal Opportunities to Persons with Disabilities PwDs in all walks of corporate life.
- Employees of eight central oil and gas public enterprises are participating in the 4th ONGC Para Games, being organized by Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) during 2-4 August 2022.
- International Level:
- ONGC organizes the Para Games in an international format from its very first edition in 2017 with the help of the Paralympic Committee of India, where 120 ONGC PwD employees participated in games like athletics, badminton, table tennis and wheelchair race.
What is ONGC?
- ONGC is a public sector petroleum company.
- Under the leadership of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the foundation stone of ONGC was laid in 1955 as the Oil and Gas Division under the Geological Survey of India.
- It may be noted that on 14th August 1956, it was renamed as the Oil and Natural Gas Commission and in 1994 the Oil and Natural Gas Commission was converted into a corporation.
- In the year 1997 it was accepted as one of the Navaratnas by the Government of India, while in the year 2010 it was given the status of Maharatna.
What are the Paralympic Games?
- The Paralympic Games or Paralympics is the largest international event for disabled athletes and societal change and takes place shortly after every Olympic Games in the same host city.
- The Paralympic Games are held every two years, alternating between the summer and winter Paralympic Games.
- The Paralympics has grown from a small gathering of British World War II veterans in 1948 to become one of the largest international sporting events by the early 21st century.
- The first Paralympic Games was held in 1960 in Rome.