Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
One Rank One Pension
- 07 Nov 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
The central government has disbursed more than Rs. 42,700 crore to 20.6 lakh retired defence personnel under the One Rank One Pension (OROP) scheme, which was notified 5 years ago in 2015.
- OROP means the payment of the same pension to military officers for the same rank for the same length of service, irrespective of the date of retirement.
- Before OROP, ex-servicemen used to get pensions as per the Pay Commission's recommendations of the time when they had retired.
- Uttar Pradesh and Punjab have the highest number of OROP beneficiaries.
- Armed Forces Personnel who had retired till 30th june 2014 are covered under it.
- The implementation of the scheme was based on recommendation of the Koshiyari committee, a 10 member all-party parliamentary panel formed under the chairmanship of Bhagat Singh Koshiyari.