New Website of Ministry of New and Renewable Energy
Why in News
- Recently, a new website of the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy was launched.
- The Ministry website hosts KUSUM Scheme Portal, Akshay Urja Portal and India Renewable Idea Exchange (IRIX) Portal.
- KUSUM stands for Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan. It’s objective is to provide financial and water security to farmers through harnessing solar energy capacities of 25,750 MW by 2022.
- The scheme consists of three components:
- Installation of ground mounted grid connected renewable power plants in the rural areas.
- Installation of standalone solar powered agriculture pumps.
- Solarisation of grid-connected agriculture pumps to make farmers independent of grid supply and also enable them to sell surplus solar power generated to DISCOM.
- Stable and continuous source of income to the rural landowners.
- Availability of sufficient local solar/other renewable energy based power for feeding rural load centres and agriculture pump-set loads.
- Reducing transmission losses.
- Save the expenditure incurred on diesel for running diesel pumps.
- Substantial environmental impact in terms of savings of CO2 emissions.
India Renewable Idea Exchange (IRIX)
- IRIX is a platform that promotes the exchange of ideas among energy conscious Indians and the Global community.