New Missile Testing Facility
- 10 Jul 2019
- 1 min read
The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has granted environmental and Coastal Regulatory Zone clearances for setting up Missile Testing Launch Facility on the Bay of Bengal coast and Technical Facility at Gullalamoda village in Krishna district, Andhra Pradesh.
- Earlier, the DRDO had proposed to set up this project in the Krishna Wildlife Sanctuary in Krishna district of Andhra Pradesh.
- Since this project is a strategic requirement and of national importance and cannot be located anywhere else. It is thus exempted from the public hearing as per EIA notification 2016.
- Other missile testing range in India:
- The Integrated Test Range missile testing facility is located on Dr Abdul Kalam Island, formerly known as Wheeler Island, an island off the coast of Odisha.
- Missiles like Agni, Prithvi, Brahmos, Astra, NIrbhay etc are tested here.