Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
New Autonomous Flying Wing Technology Demonstrator
- 02 Jul 2022
- 2 min read
Why in News?
Recently, Defence Research and Development Organisation(DRDO) carried out the maiden test flight of a new unmanned Aerial Vehicle, an Autonomous Flying Wing Technology Demonstrator.
- DRDO is in the process of developing Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) of different classes to meet the requirements of the armed forces.
What is Autonomous Flying Wing Technology?
- It's an Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicle (UCAV) or a combat drone that is a flying wing type.
- It refers to a tailless fixed-wing aircraft that houses its payload and fuel in its main wings and does not have a defined fuselage-like structure found in conventional aircraft.
- The design has the potential to deliver high fuel efficiency and stability if executed with precision.
- Mapping of Landslide Affected Area
- Infested Crop Damage Assessment
- Large Scale Mapping
- Traffic Monitoring and Management
- Logistics support
What are its Specifications?
- The Autonomous Flying Wing Technology Demonstrator is a precursor to an autonomous stealthy UCAV which is being developed by the DRDO's Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), primarily for the Indian Air Force.
- ADE is a key Aeronautical Systems Design Laboratory under DRDO.
- It is involved in the design and development of the state-of-the-art Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Aeronautical Systems and technologies to meet the requirements of the Indian Armed forces.
- The UCAV will be capable of launching missiles and precision-guided munitions.
- The vehicle is powered by a small turbofan engine.