- 07 Nov 2019
- 2 min read
Why in News
The Council of Scientific Industrial Research-National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (CSIR-NEERI) recently launched the country’s first interactive online repository named as IndAIR (Indian Air quality Studies Interactive Repository).
- The aim of the project is to make air quality research available to everyone. It presents these studies in an easily accessible web format for the media, researchers, and academics.
- It is the first comprehensive effort to enlist existing Indian research and analysis on air pollution, its causes and effects.
- IndAIR has archived scanned documents from pre-Internet times (1950-1999), research articles, reports and case studies, and over 2,000 statutes to provide the history of air pollution research and legislation in the country.
- It includes all major legislations in the country dating back to 1905.
- NEERI received support from institutions such as the National Institute of Science Communication and Information Resources (NISCAIR), BARC and National Archives of India (NAI). Institutions such as TERI, MoEFCC, and CPCB also partnered with NEERI for the project.
Council of Scientific & Industrial Research- National Environmental and Engineering Research Institute
- CSIR-NEERI is a research institute created and funded by the Government of India. It functions under the Ministry of Science & Technology.
- It was established in Nagpur in 1958 with focus on water supply, sewage disposal,communicable diseases and to some extent on industrial pollution and occupational diseases found common in post-independent India.
- CSIR has 38 national laboratories working in various areas of science and technology. CSIR-NEERI is one of those laboratories.