National Electric Mobility Mission: 2020
- 10 Jul 2019
- 2 min read
Under its National Electric Mobility Mission Plan (NEMMP), the government is targeting to achieve 6-7 million sales of electric and hybrid vehicles in India by 2020. NEMMP aims to achieve national fuel security by promoting hybrid and electric vehicles in the country.
- NEMM intends to allow hybrid and electric vehicles to become the first choice for the purchasers so that these vehicles can replace the conventional vehicles and thus reduce liquid fuel consumption in the country from the automobile sector.
- National Electric Mobility Mission is a composite scheme using different policy-levers such as:
- Demand side incentives to facilitate the acquisition of hybrid/electric vehicles.
- Promoting R&D in technology including battery technology, power electronics, motors, systems integration, battery management system, testing infrastructure, and ensuring industry participation in the same.
- Promoting charging infrastructure.
- Supply side incentives.
- Encouraging retro-fitment of on-road vehicles its hybrid kit.
- Under NEMMP 2020, Government has launched Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles in India (FAME India) scheme to promote manufacturing of electric and hybrid vehicle technology.
- Achieve national energy security.
- Mitigation of the adverse impact of vehicles on the environment.
- Growth of domestic manufacturing capabilities in the automobile sector.
Steps Taken by Government for Faster Adoption of Electric Vehicles
- A tax cut has been announced on the loan amount taken for the purchase of electric vehicle in India.
- GST rates on electric vehicles have been slashed from the earlier 28% with cess to 12% with no cess.
- The sale of electricity has been allowed as a 'Service' for the charging electric vehicles which is set to provide huge incentives in order to attract investments into charging infrastructure.
- Ministry of Road Transport Highways issued notification regarding exemption of permit in case of battery-operated vehicles.