National Commission for Indian Systems of Medicine (NCIM) Bill, 2019
- 19 Mar 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Rajya Sabha passed the National Commission for Indian Systems of Medicines (NCIM) Bill, 2019.
Key Features of the Bill
- Constitution of the National Commission for Indian System of Medicine:
- The NCISM will consist of 29 members, appointed by the central government.
- Functions of the National Commission for Indian System of Medicine:
- Framing policies for regulating medical institutions and medical professionals of Indian System of Medicine.
- Ensuring compliance by the State Medical Councils of Indian System of Medicine to the regulations made under the Bill.
- Ensuring coordination among the autonomous boards set up under the Bill.
- Constitution of Autonomous Boards:
- Board of Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha and Sowa-Rigpa responsible for formulating standards, curriculum, guidelines for setting up of medical institutions, and granting recognition to medical qualifications at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels in their respective disciplines.
- Board of assessment and rating to assess as well as to grant permission to educational institutions of Indian systems of medicine.
- Board of ethics and registration of practitioners of Indian systems of medicine to maintain a National Register and deal with ethical issues.
- Entrance Exams:
- In order to ensure transparency it also proposes a common entrance exam and an exit exam that all graduates will have to clear to obtain their license to practice Indian medicine.
- Further, a teacher's eligibility test has been proposed in the Bill to assess the standard of teachers before appointment and promotions.
- Advisory Council for Indian System of Medicine:
- The Advisory Council for Indian System of Medicine will be the primary platform through which the states/union territories can put forth their views and concerns before the NCISM.
- Further, the Council will advise the NCISM on measures to determine and maintain the minimum standards of medical education.