Mazhavillu- An App for Transgenders
- 09 Jul 2018
- 3 min read
The Kerala government has decided to roll out a mobile app- Mazhavillu, for transgenders in the State since very few
- The app has been named Mazhavillu after the government’s project for the transgender community.
- The app will obviate the need for transgenders to visit government offices for registration; they can now do it on the app without any apprehension of their gender identity being revealed.
- The app would be developed by the Centre for Development of Imaging Technology.
Need for the ID Card
- The government has no clear data on the number of transgenders in the State. This is perceived to be a hurdle to the various benefits meant for transgenders.
- To address the issues, the transgender community mooted the development of a mobile app where they could register.
- So far, only 300-odd transgenders have registered for
scheme- due to reluctance to reveal their identity.
- However, the ID cards had drawn flak for not carrying the emblem of the government and for identifying their gender as ‘transgenders.’
- Once they have registered on the app, the information will reach community-based organisations of transgenders for verification that the applicants are indeed transgenders. These organisations have grass-root level connections with the community members.
- Once the verification is complete, the data will be registered on the app.
- The government is also pressing ahead with setting up short-stay homes for transgenders in the districts.
- The homes will aid rehabilitation of transgenders, a chunk of whom have been thrown out of their homes or have strained ties with their families.
- A care home too will come up in the district to address the physical and mental challenges faced by transgenders who have undergone sex reassignment surgery. A maximum of 15 persons could stay in the home simultaneously during the treatment period.
- The transgender 24x7 helpline functioning from the department office would also be shifted to the same facility, to be managed by non-government or community-based organisations working with the transgender community.