Maritime Communication Services
- 14 Sep 2019
- 2 min read
Recently the Government of India has launched Maritime Communication Services.
- Maritime Connectivity will enable high-end support, access to Voice, Data and Video services while travelling on sailing vessels, cruise liners, ships in India, using satellite technology.
- Nelco is the first Indian company that will provide broadband services through global partnerships, infrastructure including transponder capacity on the satellite of ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization).
- Maritime Communication Services will help:
- To enhance the operational efficiency of Energy, Cargo and Cruise vessels
- To improve crew welfare as well as to enable customer services.
- Ministry of Communications has also notified the Flight and Maritime Connectivity (FMC) Rules, 2018 permitting Inflight and Maritime Telecom Connectivity (IFMC).
- It intends to open the airspace and territorial waters for telecommunication services for the general public.
- It also envisages the creation of satellite gateway within India for providing telecom services in aircraft and ships through Indian licensed service providers.
- Only the authorized IFMC service provider, can provide wireless voice or data or both types of services on ships within Indian territorial waters and on aircraft within or above India or Indian territorial waters.